Notes Are Shattered

Holy crap, there's music here!

Sunday, July 15, 2007

The complete Manchester Orchestra

I started listening to this band when I found out they were touring with mewithoutYou on their last US tour. I listened to "I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child" for the first time about a week and a half before I saw them live, and ended up listening to it 15 or 20 times. Needless to say, they've become one of my recent favorites. Their first two releases are pretty different from "Virgin", as it's mainly their vocalist and primary songwriter on his own. There's a heavier electronic influence, which gives the music more of a Postal Service or Prizefighter Inferno type sound. "Virgin" features a full, five-piece band, and combines the sounds of bands as diverse as The Weakerthans, Sufjan Stevens, Placebo, and Explosions in the Sky into something beautiful and anthemic. The Manchester Orchestra creates music that, even though it's occasionally dark, makes me happy to be alive. I've listened to "Virgin" more times than I can remember now, and every time I hear the fading notes at the end of "Colly Strings", I feel happier than I did when I started the album. Any music that has that effect deserves to be heard.

Also, these guys are going to be on a co-headlining tour with Colour Revolt from July 27 through August 16. I highly recommend you see them, as they are fantastic live, and they need all the support they can get. Check their myspace for dates, as their website isn't up to date as of right now (though check it, as there's a really good bio on them). If you do see them, their frontman Andy wants you to bring him your favorite albums, according to this, so do it.


Nobody Sings Anymore
1. Golden Ticket
2. Window
3. The Procession
4. I'd Rather Have
5. She Found a Love
6. Anything Left To Tell Me?
7. The Other Side
8. Please Don't Go
9. Girl With Broken Wings
10. Slow To Learn
11. La-di-da


You Brainstorm, I Brainstorm, But Brilliance Needs a Good Editor
1. The Procession
2. Alice and Interiors
3. Slow to Learn
4. I'd Rather Have
5. Play It Again, Sam! You Don't Have Any Feathers


I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child
1. Wolves at Night
2. Now that you're Home
3. The Neighborhood is Bleeding
4. I can feel your Pain
5. Where Have You Been?
6. I can Barely Breathe
7. Sleeper 1972
8. Golden Ticket
9. Alice and Interiors
10. Don't Let Them See You Cry
11. Colly Strings


Tree Sound Sessions
1. Make a Quite Impressive Noise
2. Sacred Heart
3. Sleeper 1972
4. When We Were Trees

7 Comments:

  • At Friday, July 20, 2007 5:07:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ahhh....this band rules. thanks so much for putting this up. i saw them open for Brand New last winter and they were amazing but i kind of forgot about them since, and now they're playing here in about a month, so this was perfect timing. i mean, it's not "standup comedy sunday 3"....but it'll get the job done....hahaha :)

     
  • At Saturday, September 29, 2007 11:27:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank you for this.

    As the person above me, I got into MO in prep for the BN show.

    They remain to this day a band that will go down in my history. I will never forget the moment when Brand New, Kevin Devine and the Goddamn Band, and Manchester Orchestra covered Holland 1945 live. It was amazing.

    I'm glad you appreciate them as well.

     
  • At Sunday, September 30, 2007 4:51:00 PM , Blogger Ben said...

    Woah, they covered Holland, 1945? Any chance you have a recording of that show? It would be AMAZING to hear that.

     
  • At Thursday, November 01, 2007 12:57:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    can you re-upload nobody sings anymore, it doesn't work anymore. thanks!

     
  • At Sunday, November 04, 2007 8:11:00 PM , Blogger Mr. Kissner said...

    ditto, could you please re-up nobody sings anymore?
    i took the "tree sound sessions", and already own virgin and brainstorm

    thanks a ton

     
  • At Wednesday, November 07, 2007 3:37:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    any possibility you could upload tree sound sessions again? :] thankyouu

     
  • At Sunday, December 16, 2007 9:11:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i've been searching for "nobody sings anymore" and i came across your blog and i read that you lost your upload links...this made me very sad. i thought that i had finally found it. so i would love it if you could re-upload it or tell me where i can find it. thanks, megan

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home